Find below the most common queries about U.S. travel authorizations & visas. Everything you need to know in regards to ESTA travel & other ‘full visas’.
If you wish to apply for an ESTA / Visa you can apply using the button below. The processing fee starts at $114 for an ESTA.


Frequently Asked Questions

You can apply for an ESTA if you are a citizen of a country that is a recognised member of the waiver program, you can find the full list of countries here.

There are other criteria that you must fulfil to be eligible for an ESTA:

  • You must hold a valid passport from a country that is part of the programme.
  • You must not be planning on working or studying during your time in the USA.
  • You cannot stay longer than 90 days at a time.
  • You must not have been refused a visa previously. (You may still be accepted)
  • You must not have a criminal record for serious crimes.
  • You must not have recently travelled to Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Somalia or Sudan.
  • You must not have had recent contact with cholera, diphtheria, TB, plague, smallpox, yellow fever or any Ebola type illness or severe respiratory infection.
  • You must not be suffering from uncontrolled mental illness.

Completing the application for an ESTA should be done so with care as any incorrect answers may lead to a ‘Travel Not Authorised’ decision meaning that you will not be allowed to travel without obtaining a full tourism visa.

All ESTA applications are completed online, either through an application service or through the department of homeland security website.
You can apply with us here.

Typically, you will receive a decision within a couple of hours but it can take up to 72 hours to be approved. Occasionally it may take longer should you answer yes to any of the eligibility questions.

Your ESTA will either be valid for 2 years or until your passport expires, whichever event occurs first.

An ESTA is electronically linked to your passport and no documents are required, once authorised, you will be able to print a physical document if you wish.

Yes, you will need an ESTA if you are travelling into the USA for any reason.

Yes, you need an ESTA whether you are travelling via air, land or sea.

Yes, every individual requires an ESTA regardless of their age.

Currently, there is no renewal process in place, you will simply need to re-apply.

No you are not permitted to work with an ESTA, you will need to apply for a work visa

In this instance, you would need to start the process for a full visa and legal advice should be sought. You can book a consultation with a U.S. immigration attorney on our site if you want expert guidance for your application. You can apply for this here and select the appropriate visa from the drop-down menu.

Applying for a full visa is a longer and more complex process than just applying for an ESTA Visa Waiver.
All visa applications require a face-to-face appointment at your nearest U.S. embassy. There are usually multiple forms to fill in and submit and you will require multiple documents for proof of your financial history, travel history & work history.
You can start the application online from the official U.S. travel website:
We always recommend the use of a qualified U.S. immigration attorney who will be able to offer reliable, up-to-date advice, support & guidance for the application process. This will reduce the chance of any mistakes or problems during your application. If you wish to book a consultation with an attorney, you can use our partners by applying on our site by clicking the link below and selecting the appropriate visa from the drop-down:
U.S. Visa Application

This depends on what your reason for travelling to the U.S. is, you can view information regarding the different types of visa on our site, click our logo on the top left of the page and you will be taken to our homepage.
Citizens of the Visa Waiver Program should apply for an ESTA for any short visits for to the USA. You can find FAQ’s for ESTA application above.
The most common visa for the U.S. is the B-2 Tourist Visitor Visa. This allows travel to America for holidays and other short visits, most common for people who aren’t eligible for an ESTA.

You may be required to submit proof of your financial history, your work history and any immigration history. You must be able to prove that you will return back to your home country if you are applying for a non-immigrant visa.
More documents may be required depending on which visa you choose, you can find more information by booking a consultation or reading the information on our website.

We recommend you apply at least 3 months before you travel. It can sometimes take several weeks to get an appointment at your local U.S. embassy.
It is possible to pay extra fees for ‘premium processing’ where you may be able to get your visa processed within 1 week, but this is only available in certain cases.

The duration depends on which visa you choose, for some visas you are able to choose the duration you prefer. Usually, the shortest duration visa you can obtain is 6 months and the longest duration being 10 years.
The longer duration you choose, the higher the fee.

If you have an expired passport with a valid visa still on it, you can still travel with this visa providing you have a new valid passport of the same nationality the visa is on (e.g. both Indian passports).
When you travel you must take both passports with you, then at the border one of the customs officers will stamp your new passport with a VIOPP (Visa In Other PassPort) after they grant you entry.

The process is different depending on which visa you have been denied. Usually you can appeal the denial or re-apply at a later date, however this depends on the reason for denial.
No refunds are given for denied visas as the payment is for the application processing fee. You must pay again if you re-apply for a visa.

All visas & visa-waivers only grant eligibility to travel to the U.S. port of entry. Entry to the U.S. is dependent on the customs immigration officer authorizing or denying admission through the U.S. border.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. is a private visa support company and works under the governance of a SRA registered solicitor and is not affiliated with any government body. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited.
Informative Media UK Ltd - 10435668.